Friday 23 June 2023

NOBUNAGA BIRTHDAY PROJECT ⓻ Kyoto 後編

And here we are for the last day of this challenge that celebrates Nobunaga's birthday!

Eheh, you are surprised, aren't you? For this "Kyoto Final Part" I didn't pick the Honnoji Incident but another event that I favoured over the expected tragedy-- The Parade of the 28th Day, 2nd Month of Tensho 9.
I used the description from the The Chronicles of Lord Nobunaga by Elisonas and Lamers and I want to focus on two details.

The first, is the kind of hat worn by Nobunaga.
The word is translated as "Chinese cap of dignity" and I had no clue about it. At first I thought it may refer to the guan (冠), a hat worn by the Imperial court dignitaries, but I found it unlikely-- Then I was advised that it's likely to refer to a putou (幞頭), commonly referred to as wushamao (乌纱帽), a standard headwear of officials during the Ming dynasty.
Chinese stuff was quite popular back then, even more than the Western goodies we know about from the chronicles. Even the clothes of Nobunaga here were tailored over precious Chinese fabrics and brocades.

Second thing, the "flowers" that decorated Nobunaga's outfit, probably placed on the back of his hat or dress (the translation doesn't specify it).
I opted for a placement close to the head because of the next words, that compare Nobunaga's choice of appearance to the protagonist of the Noh play Takasago. In the play, the actor adorns his hair with a bough of plum to celebrate spring--I assumed this was the correct imagery, then.

Last comment on the picture, yes, I picked an expression that probably didn't fit the reality. I wanted to portray a happy, fulfilled Nobunaga, though,and this is how I want to remember him ♥

4 comments:

  1. Nobu deserves to relax sometimes LOL. Even in romance-focused stories, he's always so serious all the time. Give the poor man a break XD

    Oh, the text specified that the hat Nobunaga used was a "toukanmuri".
    Basically, it’s the same hat like what Hideyoshi wears in this painting: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/09/Toyotomi_Hideyoshi_c1598_Kodai-ji_Temple.png

    So maybe it's not impossible for Nobunaga to get one too? Or, if not, it could just be a Noh prop hat. The Takasago costume also includes a toukanmuri, like this:

    https://sandaya-honten.co.jp/wp20181218/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/f001649404b647ba74325552e78fc6d2.jpg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW, RIGHT?! --I refused to let him die, lol

      Yep, checking the Takasago costume was the first thing I did :D
      That's a guan indeed, but I was uncertain about the design, so I picked something inbetween the hat from the costume and the standard Chinese design :D
      Lamers/Elisonas spelled it as "Toukamuri". The only thing I got when trying to google that was pictures of shells ^_^; Guess it resembles a shell, though :D

      Delete
    2. Yeah, maybe it's a mis-print in the book because apparently the correct term is Toukanmuri, with an extra "n" >__<

      About the hat design. The one Hideyoshi was wearing and the Noh costume is actually not a guan, it's a different hat called wushamao.

      This is how it looks like, an actual wushamao from Ming dynasty:

      https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9d/%E6%98%8E%E6%9C%9D%E7%83%8F%E7%B4%97%E5%B8%BD.jpg

      Delete
    3. --The authors should be advised about it XD

      Oooh, I see, interesting :D Going to fix my post, then!

      Delete